Individuals cannot pre-apply for a security clearance, nor update their security clearance unless granted access by the Facility Security Officer (FSO).
To obtain a Department of Defense (DoD) Security Clearance, follow the steps below:
- Forward a copy of IPA, Contract or Grant to the FSO, Deb Kuidis at email@example.com or call 505-277-0732.
- Complete the Justification for Personnel Security Clearance Form and bring form to FSO. DO NOT email due to personal information on the form.
- Bring form, proof of citizenship, such as a Birth Certificate and State Drivers License or passport to 1805 Sigma Chi NE. Release of Information forms will then be signed for initial background checks.
- The FSO will notify you by email when you can begin filling out your security questionnaire on e-QIP and provide you with a reference guide.
- When your form is complete, contact the FSO prior to hitting the final submit button. FSO will meet with you to review your questionnaire and will take you to UNM PD for fingerprints. FSO will let you know when to submit final form.
- FSO will advise you when clearance is granted.
- Once an interim is granted, FSO will have you sign the SF312 and provide you with an initial counterintelligence briefing. You cannot have access to classified information until both those requirements have been met.
To obtain a National Agency Check (NACI) for a Government Computer Access, CAC card, or base access:
- Notify FSO of purpose and agency requiring background check
- Bring proof of citizenship, such as a Birth Certificate and State Drivers License or passport to 1805 Sigma Chi NE. FSO will conduct NACI check and provide you with CVS Form for completion.
- FSO will put your information in JPAS
All Department of Energy (DOE) clearances are handled through a DOE organization. If you are working on a UNM contract, please contact FSO for guidance.
Contact IS Staff